I am enjoying the song of a cardinal near our coach as we
rise to the first light of day. We
are on the road at 6:10 am and the temperature is 56 degrees. We are headed from Bangor to the most
northerly site we must travel to in Maine to inspect four campgrounds. It is a Saturday and the roads are
quiet as we start out without weekday commuters. I am on the hunt to see a moose as well. The first “wildlife” I spot is a red
fox pouncing on something in the grass along Interstate 95 but we are past
before I can grab my camera. Still
I am thrilled because I have seen something I can classify as other than
domestic.
Further into northern Maine, we realize this area has abundant lakes of varying sizes.
| "Saturn" - creative roadside "art" along the way. We also saw "Jupiter" below. |
| These "planets" were created by the Mars Hill (a town's name) Rotary. |
We are entering an area in Maine that the Amish have settled
into with road signs that display a horse and carriage and state “Share The
Road” and we see “evidence” of the horse’s passing along the side of the road
where they travel. I am keen to
see a carriage, but alas it is not to be.
At a gas station, we see a woman pumping gas with the traditional head
garment the Amish wear but obviously she is driving a pickup truck. Maybe she is a Quaker or follows the
faith a little less strictly? Curious, I did some research and found the
following from a State of Maine tourism site:
“Among Maine’s newer
immigrants are the Amish. Quietly and determinedly, the Amish began arriving in
Maine in the mid 1990s, seeking reasonably priced farmlands and a location
where their rural lifestyle wasn’t endangered by development; a place where
they could practice their faith and raise their families in peace.
Maine’s Amish first settled
in Smyrna, a rural town just west of Houlton in southern Aroostook
County; then Easton, near Fort Fairfield, in central Aroostook; and more
recently in Unity and Thorndike, neighboring towns folded in the rolling
countryside east of Waterville.
In Maine’s Amish communities,
cars share the roads with bicycles and horse-drawn buggies, and the Amish,
dressed in simple garb, often can be seen working the fields, shopping local
markets, and walking along roadways.
A visit to one of Maine’s
Amish communities provides not only a window into a traditional lifestyle, but
also the opportunity to purchase Amish-made goods. Local shops, such as the
Pioneer Place General Store, in Smyrna, sell locally made furniture as well as
jams; small signs indicate farms where breads, produce, and other foods may be
purchased; and Amish-owned businesses make and sell sheds, offer repair
services for buggies and harnesses, and manufacture metal roofs.
Note: taking
photographs is discouraged.”
Another view of wildlife presents itself when we pass a
field with several deer including a buck with a large rack of antlers. Still no moose even as we travel
further north and the Interstate has fewer exits. It seems as if we are traveling into a wilderness without
towns or population to spoil it and with nothing but forest as far as our eyes
can see. The only “occupants” we
see consistently are large crows along the road scavenging whatever carrion or
scraps they can find along the road.
Along or in groups of two or three they seem to talk to each other with
beaks wide open and they are fat with shiny feathers, which seem to indicate
their searches along the road are productive. I once heard that Native Americans believed crows where
their returning ancestors. I
imagine here in this wilderness that if that were true, they are laughing at us
as we pass by knowing we are well out of our comfort zone of modern life’s conveniences
into a place they can still claim as their own. The legend is further enhanced as we pass two crows sitting
on electric wires looking down at a third taunting him and seeming to watch his
work to see if it is a productive endeavor. I think they should be the state bird from the number we
have seen along the road, but they have chosen the “Black-capped Chickadee” for their state bird.
| Potato fields in blossom. |
In Houlton, Maine we start to pass potato farms and learn
they have a “Potato Blossom Festival” here annually. Indeed the fields are in bloom as we pass by. Here the forest has relented and fields
occupy rolling hills as far as you can see. Barns sport the names of their owners and little stands with
new potatoes and green beans are available along the road. Cemeteries have the name of a family on
their entrance gates and one called “Jewel Cemetery” catches my eye. We learn there is a branch of the
University of Maine here in Maine’s northern most county in Presque Isle
founded in 1903. We see a sign for
“Swedish Colony” founded in 1870 and learn that Maine officials actively
recruited several hundred immigrants from Sweden at that time who came and
formed a vibrant Swedish community that follows their ancestral traditions even
today.
Now there are signs posted that say “Break for Moose” and I
am further teased that I might catch a view of one of these elusive
animals. I think of those Chick-fil-A signs that say, “Break for
Chikin” and this must be the Maine version. Believe me, I’d break for a moose because I want to get a
damn good picture! So far my eyes
are peeled to no avail. At one of our stops, the campground owner relates he
saw a moose swimming in his lake this morning and I am sad I missed it. As if to soothe the moment, we see our
first loon swimming in his lake.
Later in the day I find a small moose pendant hand drawn by the
campground owner’s daughter and I decide it may be the only “moose” I see on
this trek to northern Maine!
We end our day with a beautiful sunset that could compare to Arizona sunsets 15 hours after starting our journey.
| A Maine sunset amid the firs. |
Snoopy's Corner:
Ok, for two days Mom and Dad have been gone working from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. I am busy amusing myself with pillows and eating a toy or two (won't do that again...it made me sick.) I'll be glad when they are done inspecting these campgrounds and we can hang out all day together!
No comments:
Post a Comment