Friday, September 27, 2013

Annapolis, MD


Main Street, Annapolis
Today, we drove over to Annapolis and walked around with Jim’s children, Kris and Craig.  Annapolis is the state capital of Maryland situated on the western shore of the the Chesapeake Bay and also home to the US Naval Academy.
The harbor at Annapolis.
We were last here five years ago and both times I found myself wishing I had listened to my Dad and gone into the Navy when I got out of high school rather than worrying about college when I did not know what major to pursue at that point nor did I have the maturity to realize pursuing a husband at that point in life was not exactly wise either.  But I knew everything then (at least I thought so) and did not listen to my Dad.  Ultimately, he has been proven to be right in both instances!
A B&B with an Italian Restaurant below-one of the few four story buildings.
The day was sunny and the streets were busy with many restaurants hosting their patrons at sidewalk tables and chairs in what I imagine to be European fashion.  Their lively chatter along the way gave the afternoon a festive atmosphere and dogs here and there enjoyed the passersby with their leashes wrapped around the legs of chairs and in some cases the legs of their unconcerned dining owners.

Annapolis was named in 1694 after Princess Anne of Denmark and Norway who ultimately became the Queen of Great Britain.  Annapolis was noted for its wealthy and cultivated society from the middle of the 1700’s until the American Revolutionary War and the city even served as the temporary capital of the United States from 1783 to 1784 after the Treaty of Paris was signed.
Jim, Kris and Craig
Enjoying the sun and the harbor.
Kris was braver sitting at the edge of the dock.
The brick sidewalks slant slightly downward toward the harbor along Main Street passing 18th-century houses along the way all of which are connected one to the next and either two or three stories tall.  It appears there are some residences above the restaurants and shops we passed. 

The Peep Mobile was there handing out visors and free boxes of Peeps while we were walking near the harbor and Jim’s daughter, Kris, and I could not resist collecting ours.
Handing out lemonade flavored Peeps and visors.


No comments:

Post a Comment