 |
| Breakfast with Stella |
|
|
|
|
My heart cried out to return to my family after not seeing them for three years. Utilizing the luxury of airplane travel points set to expire at the end of the month, I flew from Washington DC to Seattle for a weekend with my family knowing Jim was with his family. I needed to know I had a backup to lookout for him feeling a little less secure in leaving him since his recent surgery. I freely admit I am a worrier!
 |
| Stella, Chris, Bill, Rose and Barb |
I would have liked to see my friends and more of my family (both on my side as well as Jim’s) in Washington, but I opted to devote my short time there to my 97 year old Aunt on this trip. She has been my “Mom” since 1978 with the passing of my own. I marvel at the blessing of having her for 62 years of my own life and I am joyful that I have this true friend to share together our mutual thoughts, fears and hopes. The elders in our lives have so much to give to us and I am grateful I still have the greatest gift of all, my Aunt’s mind to know. She is physically frail, but still shares the memories, hopes and dreams of anyone of any age. One morning as I rose for the day, I found her awake too just greeting the day lying quietly in bed. Like a child, I lay down beside her. Holding her for a moment, I felt the joy of having yet another opportunity to tell her in person how much she means to me and how much I love her. For that moment alone, I will be eternally grateful for this trip.
 |
| Rose and Bill |
There were other joys as well. I met the lovely woman my brother shares his life with. Rose is everything I could wish for in a companion for my brother and as a sister for myself. I am happy to see them together and know their own happiness together. I can release the worry of my brother’s welfare because I know I have Rose to watch over him. His happiness and health were abundantly evident because of their union and for that I will be forever in debt to Rose. Happiness eluded my brother for most of his life, but now I know he has found it for real and it is written all over his demeanor. Thank you dear Rose.
 |
| Steve, Stella and Lori |
Then there were my cousins-Barb, Steve and Lori. We all spent time together and I felt included in their lives for however briefly. I have always desired to be close to all of my family and a part of their lives. I regret at this point in my life that I was never settled down close enough or long enough to make connections with my family (and now Jim’s wonderful family either) in their daily lives no matter where they reside. But I cherish the time we do spend with any one of them, no matter how brief. Now as I get to old age, I realize time with family and friends is really all that matters.
 |
| Steve, Stella and Chris |
No comments:
Post a Comment